Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Gray Phat Ride

A Gray Phat Ride
A Gray Phat Ride, originally uploaded by Martinator.

Tim, Bob, and a few others making our way over the dam at the Diamond Hill Reservoir. As you can see from the picture, it was a lovely, late spring day here in New England ;-)

When I left my house (I had time to swing by and change) it was overcast and dry. I checked the radar and no green blotches were on the horizon. I get to the start and, well, it wasn't exactly raining, but it wasn't exactly "not" raining. Sort of heavy misting. Scott was circling that parking lot on his bike. It didn't "suck enough" to cancel, but it was right on the line...

I ate a good amount of Strawberry Speckled Peanut Butter M&M's at work, and that played heavily in my decision to go ahead and ride. I had to burn those off somehow...

As it got closer to 6:00, more people showed up, about 15 or so riders. It was going to be a cool, row, ~wet ride, so I wasn't predicting and speed records for the night.

Since there was only 15 people, there was only a fast and a slow group. I tried to hang on to the fast group. I should have known better than to try and hang onto the wheel of somebody with an NEBC jersey ;-)

Dual Device Failure

My GPS turned itself off early in the ride a couple of times and my CatEye was skipping beats (it only logged 23 of the 25 miles.). I am going to have to do some math with the available data to figure out my moving average.

UPDATE! (June 11, 2009)

After hacking into the incomplete GPX file my Device generated, I calculated that my average for this ride was 17.1 mph. not bad all things considered.

Anyway, it was worth it to get out and just get some more miles under my belt.

0 comments: