Monday, July 7, 2008

Upper Greenwood Lake Loop, 4th of July

4th of July in NJ

This weekend I went down to NJ for the long weekend. I brought my bike on the off chance that I could sneak in a ride while visiting friends and family. The opportunity presented itself on Friday afternoon.

Upper Greenwood Lake Loop

My mother live on top of a mountain in NJ. Yes, there are mountains in NJ. Technically, they are the foothills of the Appalachians. My ride took me from Wawayanda Mountain over to Bearfort Mountain and back. The valley in between is so shallow that it isn't even called a valley. Spanning both mountains is Wawayanda State Park, which I rode through on the way out and back.

The ride seemed shorter since the last time I had done it (in 2005). I checked my logs and, without really trying, I had done the loop with an average speed of 16.3 MPH. Almost a full mile an hour faster than when I had last done this loop in 2005.

A Fun Descent...

The ride was full of ups and downs. However, there was one where I was able to maintain ~30-~35 mph for almost a mile. The cool thing about that was that there were cars in front of me that I was keeping up with and a motorcycle behind me that didn't pass me because, well, I was biking right around the speed limit, AND the flow of traffic. It was cool.

A Short Loop

The loop was only 18 miles. I need to find longer loops. That will mean going off the mountain and back up. Oh well...


0 comments: