Saturday, July 26, 2008

Routeless Saturday Ride

Headed Out With No Plan

I dropped the family off at the airport early in the morning. I was back at the house by 8:00 AM. I futzed around for a while before I got my act together and headed out sometime around 9:30. I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go and made last minute route decisions along the way. I wound up passing by the Diamond Hill Reservoir on my way to the Blackstone River Bike Path.

Blackstone River Path

The bike path wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be. I was going to get off in Manville and head up towards West Wrentham road, but I passed by the offramp. I decided to continue on the path to see how far it continued. It went all the way to the Woonsocket border, where it abruptly ended.

Woonsocket...

I wasn't planning on riding through Woonsocket, but there I was. I get lost in this city in my car. The roads aren't laid out very logically, there are a lot of one way streets. The major "routes" like 122, 126, 114, and such essentially disappear in a maze of small streets soon into Downtown. Luckily, I had my Blackberry on me with Google Maps installed. I stopped a few times to get my bearings and figure out a way to navigate the city street of Woonsocket.

A Nice Morning Out

Overall it was a good ride. A relatively flat 38 miles for this region, even though I had a low elevation of 90" and a high of almost ~500".


0 comments: