Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quick Benchmark Ride

Window of Opportunity

I was up early on Saturday morning. The weather was beautiful and I had already mowed the bulk of the lawn the night before. The rest of the weekend's forecast was "yucky". So I found myself with some free timebefore I had to take my daughter to soccer. Not a lot of time, but enough to get a decent ride in.

Benchmark Ride

I decided to do one of my "benchmark" rides. It is a 16 mile loop around Franklin. After the good ride I had this past Tuesday, I figured I would push it a bit and try to finally get a decent average mph on a solo ride. My goal was to finally crack 15 mph moving average on a solo ride. I haven't yet and I know I should be faster.

I was feeling good and by the end of the ride I had cracked 16 mph moving average! 16.3 according to my bike computer. :-)

Tech Stuff

Bike Computer

I have a 5 year old Cateye Wireless bike computer that has been working just fine up until last fall. I replaced the batteries in both the unit and the transmitter by the wheel. Neither fixed the issue. The issue being that it wasn't recording my ride correctly. Before I headed out today I checked the wheel. The little magnet that triggers the transmitter had slid down about half a centimeter. Not enough to not work at all, but enough to make a difference. I repositioned it and it seemed to work fine for the entire ride.

GPS

So far this season I've had my Garmin Etrex Legend GPS Receiver shut off automatically. Typically when I hit my first bump in the road. In most cases it works fine after that first incident. It had worked fine on Tuesday's ride. I thought to myself: "Maybe I should whack it as a preemptive measure". So I did, and sure enough, it shut off. I turned it back on and it stayed on for the rest of the ride.



0 comments: