Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Phat Ride, Getting There was an Adventure in Itself...

Getting there was half the battle...

Normally my train gets into the Norfolk T stop right around 5:00 or so. (I get in early, 7:00 am at my desk, so I can get out early.) Today, due to whatever, the train gets in 15 minutes late. OK, so my window of getting home, changing, making a batch of Gatorade (I buy the powder), and loading the bike on the car is a little shorter. I can deal with that. So I am cutting it close now. I am driving though downtown Franklin, almost halfway to the ride start, drinking my pre-ride Gatorade, and I am looking at my bag of stuff. Seems like it isn't as full as it should be.

MY SHOES!!!

I don't know if I can make it home, grab my shoes, and still make it to the ride before 6:00 PM. Succede or fail, I am going to try. I do not want to miss this weeks ride.

By the time I grab my shoes and get back in the car, it is roughly 5:45. I have to make it ~5.7 miles to the other side of Franklin.

On the way I start putting on my bike shoes while driving. Every once in a while I check to make sure the bike is still on the back. Somehow I get to the ride start @ 5:58. My car, 2004 Subaru Outback, has funny smells eminating from it. Either the brake pads or the clutch. Most likely both. I guess I shouldn't drive it as if it were my old Integra with the racing suspension...

I put my other shoe on (I was only able to put my left shoe on en route), add some air to the tires, clip in, and the ride begins...

Running on Adrenalin...

So I start the ride wired with adrenalin from my arriving just-in-time. It lasts for about 5 miles until we hit a grade on Burnt Swamp road. Then I get dropped from the lead group. ## Insert Profanity here ##

At least I know I'll catch up with everyone at the halfway rest stop. It was a hot one today...


Hot... @ the Half-way point.

At the rest stop I did the sensible thing and let the fast group go out and rode with the still-fast-but-not-quite-as-fast group.

Tactical Knowledge...

I need to work on tactics. That and pacing. I need to know when to hold back and not waste energy and effort for when I really need it.

Not as fast as last time...

Not as fast, but still fast. I averaged 17.8 mph. So this is the second fastest I have ever ridden.

0 comments: