Monday, March 23, 2009

NBW-028: East Providence Spring Season Opening Ride

Chilly Start

Chilly start, middle, and finish... The skies were gray and it felt cold. Cold enough for me to wear my winter riding shirt (07 Pearl Izumi Kodiak Jersey), my shell (Performance Transformer Jacket), and my shoe covers. I couldn't believe how cold I felt. Wasn't is supposed to be a warn, sunny, 50° day? I should have filled a thermos with coffee for the ride...

Ride Start
Ride Start, originally uploaded by Martinator.

A "portion" of the riders that showed up. I'd guess over 100 people showed up for this ride. Pretty much everybody has their winter gear on. Except for one guy in shorts.

Pup-cycle...
Pup-cycle, originally uploaded by Martinator.

~100 riders plus 1 dog! I wonder what the dog is thinking right about now...

What? No Tabs?!?

I only had enough Nuun Hydration Tablets for one bottle. No big deal. I figured that, since the ride was starting at a bike shop that I would just pick up some Camelbak Elixir Lemon Lime Hydration Tabs, which I prefer anyway over the NUUN Tabs. However, much to my surprise, the East Providence Cycle bike shop didn't carry any of either.

What?!? You've got to be kidding me...

EP Cycle loses points in my book...

30 Miles or 40?

I had about 10 miles to decide if I was going to do the either the 30 mile option of the 40. It was chilly, I was getting dropped on the climbs (though not as bad as the same time last year) and it was only my second time out on the bike this year. So when I came upon the split, I decided not to push myself and I chose the 30 mile option. It was still a lot of riding for March (for me) and I wanted to ease myself into the season.

Halfway
Halfway, originally uploaded by Martinator.

This is me at about the halfway point in the 30 mile option. Nobody in front of me and nobody behind me. The club ride became a solo ride at this point (until others caught up to me). Notice the beautiful shades of gray that we call "Early Spring in New England"...

March is for Serious People

As I was riding a thought occurred to me:

If you really love what you do, you do it in March!

Nobody who does anything casually in New England, does it in March. They just don't. Here's a list:

  • Serious Skiers ski in March (and April, and May...)
    Casual Skiers think February break marks the end of the season.
  • Serious Golfers hit the links in March, and by that I mean locally (flying down to NC or Fla doesn't count). I saw some golfers while I was riding.
  • If you love softball, you are out there playing. Like those guys were on the field towards the end of the ride.
  • Serious runners are, well, running.
  • Even gardening is a good example!
  • And then there are us Cyclists. (Cyclist who bike over the winter are just plain nuts and belong in a separate category.)

There are probably more examples, but I think you get the idea.



3 comments:

Glenn_in_MA said...

I haven't been able to make it out for a ride so far this March...but I got in a few winter rides. What does that make me? :-) LOL!

The EP Spring Opener looked like fun...despite the "cold". No spring in the air yesterday.

Not sure I like the "dog in tow" concept...rather bizarre

Paul said...

Marty, Marty, Marty, come on, it wasn't that bad. I started the ride at 8:30 and got in 43 miles. I ride all winter and already have over 400 miles in this year. I didn't even wear my winter shoes or gloves.

Martinator said...

@Paul - My bike is too shiny to ride in the winter...